Discord has a lot of things going on. So, our moderators have had to delete a couple of discord servers in the past because they were being way too active. Deleting a server is easy. Here’s how you can do it:
How to delete a Discord server through the desktop app
- Quit the Discord app. If you’re on Windows or Linux, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click “Task Manager.” On Mac, press ⌘+Option+Esc and click “Force Quit.”
- Click the processes tab in Task Manager (Windows) / Activity Monitor (Mac). Find and right-click the discord app process – it should be named org.discordapp.Discord according to the image below. Select “Open File Location” then close task manager/activity monitor.
- Delete all .dll files associated with Discord in this directory: [steam root]\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin . Delete only files that say Discord when you ctrl f them – do not delete all .dll files.
- Reopen Discord and join your server to make sure it’s gone. (If you still see the server, repeat steps 2 through 5 and delete any new .dll files that appear).
How to delete a Discord server through the Android app:
So far we’ve found two ways to do this:
1. Delete the APK from your phone, then reinstall it from scratch (if you can’t uninstall it because of an update or something like that, try #2)
2. Use an app called Package Disabler Pro to disable Discord entirely. If you open up Package Disabler Pro and search for Discord in its list of installed apps, you should be able to safely disable it and re-enable it when you’re done.
How to delete a Discord server through the web app
You won’t be able to delete your own personal account from within Discord itself, but if you have server owner privileges, you can ban yourself from the server, then delete it entirely. We’ve tested this method personally and can confirm that it works! Note: If you want to make a new account with the email address associated with an old one, follow these steps :
1. Go to https://www.discordapp.com/login and enter your email address and password.
2. You’ll be redirected back to Discord, but this time it will say “We couldn’t find any communities associated with that email.” That means you’ve successfully entered a different account! Don’t worry, your old account is still there – if you created a new one, please delete the extra account ASAP so nobody can impersonate you!
3. Now just repeat steps 1 and 2, but this time enter your new email address instead of the one you’re trying to recover. A new community will automatically be created, so go back to Discord in your browser and delete the old community.
How to delete a Discord server through an IRC client
If you have server owner privileges or are an admin, you can use this method! If not, don’t worry – there’s another way to do it below.
1. Quit out of Discord if it’s still open on your computer.
2. Open up your favorite IRC client (we recommend using https://riot.im/app) then click “Servers” at the top left, then just type in “discord” into the search bar like shown here:
3. Now join one of these servers (seriously, pick whichever one you want), then join the “discord” channel (you can just click the link and it should open in a new browser tab).
4. Once you’re there, type in: !deleteorg [your_discriminator]
5. Replace [your_discriminator] with your discriminator – if you don’t know what it is, ask an admin or server owner for your discriminator, but make sure to delete these instructions when you’re done! We could be accidentally revealing secret information here. You’ll get a message saying that Discord deleted the server successfully after doing this. If you have any questions you can contact us on IRC at #stramgmt on Rizon
6. Now rejoin your Discord server(s) and you’ll be able to see that the unwanted one was deleted!
How to delete a Discord server through your web browser (if you’re not an admin)
If this is what you’ve come here for, make sure you’ve gone through the instructions above first! You may or may not have access to certain commands depending on whether or not you’re an admin. If all else fails, take it up with whoever owns your server.
1. Open up your browser and go to discordapp.com/groups/YOUR_SERVER_NAME . Replace YOUR_SERVER_NAME with the name of your actual discord server, but leave the slash at the end so it’s just /YOUR_SERVER_NAME.
2. Find your desired server in the list, then hover over it with your cursor and click “More” (if you can’t find one of your servers, double-check that you’re searching from the correct website!)
3. Click “Leave Server” at the bottom of the menu that pops up. You’ll get a message saying that Discord deleted the community successfully!
4. Now rejoin your Discord server(s) and you’ll be able to see that the unwanted one was deleted!
If you have any questions, feel free to message us! We’ll be happy to help you delete your server or fix whatever problem you’re having.
Q: How do I find my discriminator?
A: If you’re trying to recover an email address for your account, but there was no email linked to it when you made it (it defaulted to your profile name instead), follow these steps:
1. Open Discord on your computer and go to the app settings by clicking the top-right gear icon, then going to “App Settings”.
2. Now click “Advanced” at the bottom of the menu, followed by “Show Advanced Settings”. You’ll see a big ol’ list appear – scroll down until you find an option that says “Discriminator”. The number next to it is your discriminator! Quit out of Discord now. This guide will tell you how to change the email associated with the account using this identifier, as well as how to delete a server through IRC if you have owner privileges or are an admin for it.
If your discriminator is a number that you don’t recognize, it’s possible that someone changed your name after you made the account. If this is the case, feel free to post on one of our servers asking for advice – we can’t fix it because Discord doesn’t allow us to change names or accounts, but maybe there are some things you could try yourself. There are lots of tips and tricks about how to recover lost emails taking place in our #lost-info channel if you’re curious about what other users have tried!
Q: I never registered an email address for my account but I still want to delete my server/discord community! What should I do?
A: If you have owner privileges or are an admin for your server, you can follow the instructions here to delete your server through IRC. Be extremely careful about deleting any servers if you’re not an admin – most servers are private and deleting one is almost guaranteed to result in a ban.